Sunday, March 1, 2015

Got A New e Learning Job! Got Any Tips to Share


NEW LEARNING ADVENTURE

On June 15th (2009), I will embark on another e-learning adventure, and become the new e-Learning Manager at the International Medical University (IMU). I am looking forward to working with educators in the fields of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Nursing, Medical Biotechnology, Nutrition & Dietetics, Biomedical Science and Psychology (my undergraduate roots! Cool!).

I am dreaming of conceptualizing and nurturing with IMU educators electrifying and sizzling e-learning environments (I suppose this only makes sense to The Rock!). In other words, conceptualizing and nurturing e-learning environments that are:
  • Relevant
  • Engaging
  • Fun
  • Interactive
  • Collaborative

That would be awesome! However, having experienced both sides of the learning continuum (Disaster to Success) during my career as an e-learning professional, I know for sure it wont be easy. But you know what, I am looking forward to the challenge, and hopefully it works out!

Interestingly, they are currently using Moodle as their main online teaching and learning platform, so that is great news. In the past, I have experienced a customized in-house developed e-learning platform (no so bad!), a customized commercial one (a total disaster!), and Moodle, which I promoted as an alternative learning space at UNITAR.

Whatever, e-learning platform or LMS (Learning Management System) one is using today, lets face it; learning will increasingly take place outside the LMS, in the forms of wikis, blogs, micro-blogs, virtual worlds, video channels (e.g. YouTube), social bookmarking, social networking, etc. Although, e-learning platforms (e.g. Moodle and Blackboard) often have such features and tools, they are usually not up to par with the specialized free learning tools available. But thanks to RSS and integration modules the information flow can still easily be captured and shared in the big old LMS. If it cant, then it better soon, or adios amigo! I suppose LMS will still be around for a few more years for student/course management, tracking, assessment, and some discussions, but I suppose most of the real learning will increasingly take place beyond it.

What about SCORM? That alien should be transferred back to the US military. Unless you are buying off-the-shelf courseware that has assessment you want to track, or you want to sell your self-developed courseware, it is seriously a disaster. I suppose in the corporate sector (where it is often needed for tracking purposes) one still mumbles about it, but in the University space not many learning professionals really talk about it anymore (it is there, but nobody cares! Relevant today?). Well, we have SCORM 2004, which really indicates the year that it stopped evolving. Reusable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Durable! What a joke, if you know what I mean :)


ANY TIPS?
I know that there are many exceptional learning professionals and educators that are reading (scanning or browsing) this blog, and it would be wonderful if some of you came (out of the passive learning mode) and shared with us some tips on e-learning in the medical fields (or other fields for that sake!), especially in terms of:
  • Online Facilitation
  • Content Development
  • Open Educational Resources
  • e-Learning Platform (features and tools to use?)
  • e-Learning 2.0 (any stories to share?)
  • Etc.
If you feel uncomfortable sharing in the comments section, I would truly appreciate any suggestions, or tips through other means, such as Twitter and e-mail.

Besides working on a few prototype courseware for John Hopkins University (Pediatric Sedation and Pain Management) in 2001, I have to admit I have a lot to learn about the medical fields. However, I am seriously looking forward to this new e-learning adventure, and hopefully my passion, knowledge, skills, and experience will assist in energizing IMU forward with e-learning that sizzles and electrifies (translation above!). And with your advice and tips, I am sure the road to success will be much smoother. Even a Good Luck note, would be appreciated. Thanks :)

P.S. I suppose my blog posts will be shorter and fewer in the comings weeks. IMU here I come :)